Saturday 23 August 2014

Rainbow Cake Recipe

Hi everyone! I made this rainbow cake the other day for someone's birthday, and it was such a hit that I thought I should share the recipe:


What you need for the cake:
200g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
200g softened butter
4 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
Food colouring (6 colours of the rainbow)
Non-stick baking paper
(OPTIONAL): 1 tsp vanilla essence


Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
Butter two sandwich tins/medium sized cake pans and line with the baking paper.




2) Beat all of the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
Note: the vanilla essence is optional, but if you have it, I definitely recommend adding it!



3) Divide the batter equally between 6 smaller bowls (I put about 6 1/2 tbsp of the mixture in each bowl).


4) Add a different colour of food colouring to each one. 





Note: I couldn't find red food colouring at my supermarket, so I settled for pink instead.

5) Pour the colours into the two tins. (Make sure there is an equal amount of batter in each tin). 




Note: I used pink, orange and yellow for one tin, and green, blue and purple for the other, and spread them in layers on top of each other. A faster way is just to splodge the colours in whatever combinations
you want.


6) Pop the cakes in the oven for 20 mins, then allow to cool.


What you need for the icing:
280g icing sugar
140g softened butter 
1-2 tbsp milk
Rainbow sprinkles

Method:


1) Mix sugar and butter together, and add milk as needed so the result is smooth and creamy.

Finishing the cake:

1) Put one cake on a plate/tray and spread half of the icing on top of it (to ensure that the other cake will stick and stay on top of the bottom cake).

Note: Do not put icing on a fresh-out-of-the-oven cake, it will melt.

2) Put the other cake on top of the icing, then cover that in icing too. Decorate with rainbow sprinkles.

I hope you enjoy your cake, and we'd love to see them! 
Tag us in your cake pictures on twitter or instagram
- Sam

tumblr / twitter / instagram / bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Just looking at the photos makes me want to devour the cake. :) xo
    Molly Louise Blogs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what I did as soon as I made it, woops!
      x

      Delete
  2. This looks amazingly yummy. I really need to try making this soon!

    strawberriegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, it's delicious!
      (Sorry for the late reply btw)

      Delete